Hello, my name is Caleb Solano and I am the CTO here at RNK Innovations. I figured it was time that I put a post on here to introduce who I am and kick off a series a posts about the underlying technology that allows you to buy on our sites and us to ship you what you order.
I am currently 21 years old and I have been working part-time here at RNK since 2008 when I was in high school. I originally started at the company when the Narmin Parpia’s (the owner’s) son said “If you need something on the computer, Caleb is who you want.” Narmin contacted me later and I was hired to do data entry (putting products in, cropping images, putting products in categories). After only a matter of days I was absolutely irritated with the tediousness of the job and thought there surely must be a better and faster way to do this. I figured if I felt like a robot doing the job, there had to be a way to make a robot do it. It was from this point on at this company that I have been dedicated to one purpose: using technology to make things easier. Since being here I have automated countless processes, including nearly eliminating the job position I was originally hired for (as well as programming the boss’s son out of a job, but that another story). I have finally made the transition into a full time employee after graduating Rice University with a B.S. in Computer Science this year (I completed my 4-year degree in 3 years because I was so excited to get to work).
There are so many projects that I am excited to bring to this company, and I will surely blog on here to talk about some of these in the future. Among the projects that I can foresee right now (who knows what we will think of doing tomorrow)
- A robust personalization system with preview technology and direct-to-cut efficiency
- An enjoyable mobile experience on all of our sites
- Simplified checkout so that you can get from perusing to purchasing as fast as possible (because who has time to fill out all those fields)
- More complete product data, so you can make sure you know exactly what you are buying
- Dynamic sale promotions such that you can come back to our sites every day and find something new and on sale
- Even more reliable inventory tracking (I think they have threatened to make me call customers if I allow sale of products we don’t have)
- Better internal reporting, so we can know what you are buying
- And all the stuff that I know I wanted to do but can’t think of right now…
But this is only just the beginning. I am so excited to be here and can’t wait to make e-commerce easier for both merchants and consumers.